Environmental Health and Safety Professional
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
Fermilab’s Environmental, Safety, Health, and Quality Division seeks an Environmental Health and Safety Professional. Under general supervision, implements, maintains, trains and evaluates Environmental, Safety, Health and/or Quality Assurance (ESH&QA) programs, procedures and standards to maintain a safe, healthy environment in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations, requirements and standards and all Department of Energy (DOE) orders. May specialize in one or more disciplines or may be a generalist in several of the disciplines.
- Implement Environmental Safety Health and Quality (ESH&Q) procedures, systems and programs in the area of expertise to meet ESH&Q objectives
- Assist in monitoring the Laboratory’s ESH&Q policies, programs, procedures and standards
- Perform industrial hygiene assessments and sampling of various lab facilities and activities
- Conduct inspections and accident/injury investigations, and recommend appropriate actions
- Implement policies and procedures regarding safe working methods, inspection standards and emergency procedures
- Maintain records and documents, and prepares routine reports utilizing complex databases
- Verify and document the skills and knowledge of Lab personnel and their compliance with ESH&Q requirements
- Install and maintain ESH&Q equipment and compliance mechanisms
- Perform standard measurements, surveys and tests; analyze data and make appropriate recommendations
- Provide technical assistance to line staff as assigned by supervisor
- Serve on laboratory ESH&Q subcommittees and ad hoc groups; may serve as chair of the subcommittee; or chair divisional/sectional/center committees and projects
- Serve as a point of contact for Fermilab supported projects
- Present established employee training programs
- Other duties as assigned
- Contribute optimally within a diverse workforce and upholds Fermilab’s dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor of Science in an ES&H discipline (Occupational Safety, Environmental Health, Industrial Hygiene) or similar degree
- 3+ years’ experience
- Industrial Hygiene preferred
- Ergonomics experience a plus
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills required
Relocation Assistance is not available for this position
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental concentration, Sitting, Standing, Tight Work Schedule, Visually Demanding
FRA encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated and boostered to prevent transmission of COVID-19 and to mitigate against severe illness from infection. Upon employment with FRA, all employees must state their vaccination status. In order to work onsite at Fermilab locations (Batavia, IL and Lead, SD), all unvaccinated employees are required to submit proof of a negative covid test taken within 72 hours of arriving onsite. Please note that all vaccination and testing requirements are subject to change.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.