Environment, Safety & Health Specialist – Batavia, IL
Posted: Dec 06, 2018
Opening Date: November 29, 2018
Closing Date: December 28, 2018
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic thinkers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
Fermilab’s Environmental, Safety, Health, and Quality Division seeks an Environmental Safety Health Specialist. Under general supervision, implements, maintains, trains and evaluates Environmental, Safety, Health and/or Quality Assurance (ESH&QA) programs, procedures and standards to maintain a safe, healthy environment in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations, requirements and standards and all Department of Energy (DOE) orders. May specialize in one or more disciplines or may be a generalist in several of the disciplines.
- Develop, implement, maintain, & evaluate environmental, safety, & health programs and procedures.
- Assists in monitoring the Laboratory’s ESH&QA policies, procedures, & standards.
- Conduct inspections and accident/injury investigations and recommend appropriate actions.
- Installs and maintains ESH&Q equipment & compliance mechanisms.
- Perform standard measurements, surveys and tests.
- Maintain records and documents, and prepare reports utilizing complex databases.
- Present employee training programs as well as provide technical expertise.
- Respect, understand and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
- Abide by all environment, safety and health regulations.
We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s Degree in ESH and/or QA discipline or other related field, and 3+ years’ experience.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- High motivation and leadership potential.
- Ability to make unassisted decisions.
- Previous experience within ESH&Q.
- Strong knowledge of OSHA & EPA laws and policies on local, state, and federal levels.
- Proficiency within Microsoft Office Suite
- Professional Safety Certifications are encouraged
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
HUMAN FACTORS: Heights, Mental Concentration, Sitting, Visually Demanding PHYSICAL FACTORS: Cryogens, Ionizing Radiation, Oxygen Deficiency Hazard
- Physical Activity and Work Conditions
- Ability to visit remote locations on site.
- Ability to occasionally work outside in the heat and cold.
- Ability to qualify for work in Oxygen Deficiency Hazard (ODH) designated areas as well as in radiological controlled areas, such as accelerator enclosure.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT: Eye/Face Protection, Foot Protection, Hand Protection, Ear Protection
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science. Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory. Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.